Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Need to Get Out of My Car

Back in 2005, I accepted a position at an architecture firm in Alexandria and commuted 20 miles each way from Fairfax in my Honda Civic.   I would try different routes to avoid congestions, to no avail, and immediately became aware of the drive-alone commuters beside me as I was making my way across town.  I was disgusted by the wasteful mean in which we were all trying to get to work.  Surely there had to be a better way!  I looked into carpooling, but was discouraged by the possibility of being trapped in a car with a creepy guy. I considered metroing, but it wasn’t conveniently situated near my home. Finally, I thought about moving closer to work.  This seemed the most obvious solution because it would cut down on my mileage and time in the car.

Two years into my job, I was able to afford living in close proximity to work. I’ve decreased my mileage by about 10,000 miles per year.  But as I realized through calculating my carbon and ecological footprints a few weeks ago, my transportation habits are my biggest contributions to climate change.  So, I took a closer look at where I drive in a typical year and the alternatives to driving.

  • Visit family 3,952 miles per year
    • Alternative:  Train ride = 21 hours/trip vs. 6 hours in car

King Street is the closest Metro stop to my apartment
  • Commute to School 2,160 miles per year 
    • Alternative: 1 hour 15 minutes on bus + I would need a ride from bus stop to home

  • Commute to Work 2,600 miles per year
    • Alternative: 20 minutes on bus + 10 minute walk
    • Alternative: 30 minute bike without shower
Dash Bus--I can take this from home to work

  • Travel to Entertainment (in DC metro area) 336 miles per year
    • Alternative:  A bus would add 20 – 30 minutes each way
    • Alternative:  Hybrid taxi – might cost more money (cab fare vs.  gas and parking fees)

  • Shopping trips 960 miles per year
    • Alternative:  No reasonable public transport to Leesburg, VA.

  • Trips to Beach 512 miles per year
    • Alternative:  No pubic transportation
    • Alternative:  Carpool
King Street Trolley

  • Work Meetings 312 miles per year
    • Alternative:  Bus ride takes an hour vs. driving would take 40 minutes. 

  • Grocery Shopping 520 miles per year
    • Alternative:  Bus ride 20 minutes + walking + pushing a cart

In some instances it’s not reasonable to mass transit, such as driving to visit family and going to the beach.  There is a convenience factor that I will discuss further in my next blog.

In addition to taking a look at my car driving habits, I’ve considered the following:

Riding a motorcycle
-Motorcycles get better mileage because they are smaller and lighter.
This could be a lot of fun!
-Less emissions (this depends on the model and year) 

Checking the air pressure and adding air to my tires
Regular car maintenance
-Oil changes
-Replace air filter
-Check air in tires

My next step is to try alternatives to typical driving habits.  Next week, I’ll write about my experiences using mass transit and biking to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment